Research Space and Support

Space Allocation

Research Laboratory Space

UNMC assigns space based on research funding, specific space requirements for the equipment or type of research, and personnel using the space, among other factors. Requests for space or space changes are made in writing by the appropriate college dean, institute director, or department chair to the Director of Research Resources, Vice Chancellor for Research Office, who will address it to the UNMC Research Space Committee.

For details, see UNMC’s Assigning Research Lab Space policy.

Contact the director at:
Phone: 402-559-6162

Research Animal Space

Comparative Medicine (CM) assigns animal housing. Location is based on specific investigator needs, species, and other considerations to best maintain the health and well-being of all animals, as well as established standards for animal welfare. Animals are usually housed by species rather than by investigator or department.

What animal research space is available on campus?

Animal housing is available at several locations on the UNMC Omaha and Lincoln campuses. A separate, dedicated facility is used for rodent quarantine and testing. Procedure rooms, and a BSL 2 and 3 space are also available.

Is there designated clinical research space available?

The Clinical Research Center (CRC) is a 3,300 sq ft outpatient clinical research facility, which serves as a central resource to investigators. The unit includes 5 general examinations rooms, 2 procedure rooms, a dedicated exercise/stress testing room, a room for dental or other chair specialty examinations, and a specimen processing laboratory. CRC study coordinators and research assistants work in the CRC or in other outpatient facilities, Nebraska Medicine inpatient scatter beds, or community facilities as contracted for specific projects.


Phone: 402-559-7685

A separate Clinical Research Unit is available at the Omaha VA Hospital and Medical Center. This facility is available to Omaha VA investigators or UNMC investigators with approved Omaha VA hospital protocols and is focused on medical projects of importance to veterans. The facility has exam rooms, a centrifuge, and a BODPOD for metabolic studies. Questions about use of this facility should be directed to the Associate Chief of Staff for Research, Omaha VA Hospital.

The Cruzan Center of the College of Dentistry is a Clinical Research facility on the Lincoln campus. Further information regarding this facility for clinical studies is available on their website.

Who to Contact

Laboratory research space and support questions

Contact the Director of Research Resources, Vice Chancellor for Research Office.
Phone: 402-559-6162

Clinical research space and support, including the CRC

Contact the Associate Vice Chancellor for Clinical Research or the Clinical Research Center (CRC).

Use of the Cruzan Center for Dental Research space in Lincoln


Use of Omaha VA Clinical Research Unit space


Research Support

What research resources are available to UNMC investigators?

The Vice Chancellor for Research Office Web site provides a directory of research support services, core facilities, funding training opportunities, and policies on its website.

A directory of other campus resources can be found on the UNMC Today Intranet Quick Links.

How do I identify potential research collaborators?

UNMC provides Elsevier’s PURE collaboration tool to investigators. This Web-based tool, branded as Research Nebraska, provides up-to-date research profiles of University of Nebraska and Boys Town investigators and key word indices of potential biomedical, engineering, informatics, and life sciences research collaborators.

To receive training on Research Nebraska, visit the VCR website or call the VCR Office at 402-559-7649.

What Information Technology (IT) support is available for research applications?

The Research IT Office (RITO)

RITO was established to meet researchers' growing IT needs. RITO supports implementation of new equipment and research servers; application development and programming; research data transfer, management, and storage; consultation on information security; technical writing for research grants regarding proposed research IT implementation; institution-wide software applications; and UNMC core facilities. For more information, contact the Director of RITO.

Phone: 402-559-9072

The Researcher Users Group (RUG)

RUG was formed to share information, resources, and training related to IT skills for researchers. One-hour seminars address relevant topics including database creation, graphics programs for scientific posters and presentations, tools for grant submissions, and policy changes that impact researchers. Sessions are open to all. More information and upcoming sessions are available online.

What assistance is available for maintaining CV’s and NIH biosketches?

The McGoogan Library of Medicine offers a toolkit for using MyNCBI resources for generating biosketches in multiple formats at

UNMC developed a web-based faculty records system called ADIS (Academic Department Information System) where publications, grants, and contracts are automatically loaded into available templates to generate a CV or NIH biosketch.

Is access available to the Electronic Health Record information system and databases for research?

The Electronic Health Record Core is available for research data sets, including health outcomes, quality improvement projects, and eligible subject lists. Applications are available on the CCTR website.

Is there enterprise-wide software support for research applications?

UNMC supports several open access or site licenses for research applications, including: Freezerworks® for biobanking, caTissue™ for biobanking cancer specimens, and Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) for clinical trials management. Contact the Research IT Office for additional information.